Spring is here, and this is a perfect time to start an annual spring home maintenance routine- particularly to the home’s exterior. Here are some tips to help protect your home from the spring and summer elements.
• Retrieve your binoculars to get a good view of your roof. Look for cracked or missing shingles. Use an experienced roofing contractor to remedy any big problem areas.
• Use your binoculars to also look at your chimney for any problem areas. Check the joints between bricks or stones to see if any have fallen out. Is there vegetation growing out of them? Either of these problems can indicate water infiltration.
• Clean your gutters and downspouts. Clogged gutters and downspouts can eventually result in rotted wood trim at the eaves. This deterioration can invite various rodents into your attic space.
• Check for any rotten wood on your home’s exterior. Reseal or replace any exterior woodwork as needed. Inspect fences, decks, and rails as well. Such properties will last longer if they are stained or resealed every 2 years.
• Examine screen doors and windows. Carefully check each one to keep the bugs out and repair any holes or tears. Screen repair kits can be found at most home improvement stores.
• Test your sprinkler and irrigation system by manually running through all the zones and walking the property. Verify that all the sprinkler heads are operational and spraying away from the house and covering the lawn properly. This process will help your grass thrive and save on water bills.
• Schedule air conditioning service with a qualified and licensed professional. This annual service will prolong the life of your system and lower your energy bills. And remember to change your air conditioning filters regularly.